The Douro Valley, between Barqueiros and the border, is the result of the wonders of nature, but also the effort and energy expended by man in its transformation. The vineyard that produces the varieties of the famous Port wine is the biggest cause and reason of all this hard work. Centuries of hard work, fatigue and human sweat, gutted the earth, they removed the massive shale, shaped the walls and terraced levels to stow the vines, raising this colossal work, which Marquês de Pombal rewarded in the eighteenth century, with the title of first demarcated region in the world.
Mandatory of places to visit:
Douro Valley Landscape – UNESCO World Heritage listed as the first demarcated wine producing region in the world since 1756
- Unique landscape transformed by manDouro Valley Landscape – UNESCO World Heritage listed as the first demarcated wine producing region in the world since 1756
- Port wine farms
- Unique landscape transformed by man
Cidade de Amarante
Where besides enjoying the beauty of this city bathed by River Tâmega, one of the major tributaries of the Douro River, you can visit the Church of Santa Maria and its historic centre.
In the Heart of the Upper Douro Wine Region, you can make an unforgettable descent to the Pinhão Village.
Vila do Pinhão
Classified as World Cultural Heritage, you can visit the well-renown railway station famous for its 24 tile panels depicting the Douro landscapes.
Local visit to a winery farm specialized in sparkling wines. Sanctuary of Senhora dos Remédios
The scrolls tell the tale of the achievements and works of the early years of Roman occupation, but the splendor of today was inherited from the Golden Age of Port Business. Marquês de Pombal transformed the small riverside village of the seventeenth century, into one of the busiest trading posts by creating the General Company of Agriculture of the Upper Douro Vineyards in 1756 and consequently the Douro Region.
Among other, you can visit:
- Igreja de São Vicente, matriz da Galafura (século XVII – Imóvel de Interesse Público)
- Vitrais da Casa do Douro da autoria de Lino António
- Museu do Douro
- Solar do Vinho do Porto
- Casas e Solares brasonados
- Estação Arqueológica do Alto da Fonte do Milho em Canelas do Douro, Poiares (séculos I a IV d.c.)
- Necrópole medieval Fonte dos Mouros em Galafura
Tours to visit the Douro Valley – ask for information at reception